Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2011

A Moral Commitment to Honesty

Well, I'm going to give this another go.

I'm at school right now, working on my thesis (actually I have a meeting with my thesis advisor in about an hour). I'm writing what's called a bildungsroman, or the psychological journey a protagonist goes on when transforming from childhood to adulthood. Let me tell you what: it's harder than it sounds.

As my title says, I've had to make a moral commitment to honesty in my writing. You know what, that's a lot harder than it sounds, as most people cannot be honest with themselves about most things. And not only do I have to admit things I've done, I have to admit things I feel and I have to do it publicly.

After spending time in South Africa, it all came to me: I'm no longer a child. And so I've started this project. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. That's for true. I've spent a good deal of my short life pretending about a lot of things; it's so difficult to actually force myself to be honest.

    ReplyDelete